The path to self-fulfilment is paved with good intentions, but more often than not, the way you actually live makes you feel anything but self-fulfilled.
Here are 10 signs you’re failing at self-fulfilment.
- You’re so busy, you barely have time to eat. There are a million and one things on your To Do list, all of them important. It’s a good thing you’re a pro at putting your head down, because that’s what you need to do.
- You go through the motions, day in, day out, and can’t remember the last time you were engaged in what you were doing. Still, you get things done, so that’s good.
- There is so much on your plate right now, you don’t know what to do. You feel completely overwhelmed and can’t see a way forward. This makes you feel pretty useless and lost.
- Every day, you wake up tired. It doesn’t matter how much sleep you had, you’re tired from dawn till dusk. And even though you’re tired when you go to bed, you just can’t seem to turn off your mind… so the cycle continues.
- Nothing ever goes your way. It’s not your fault – you just aren’t lucky. Other people are much luckier than you – they don’t realise how easy life is for them. It’s not easy for you – no matter how hard you try, you don’t succeed at anything.
- B.O.R.I.N.G. That’s your day. It’s your life, actually – that’s how it feels to you these days. You’re bored with what you’re doing and you’re bored with yourself.
- Everything has to be JUST RIGHT. Nothing else will do. You will do anything to make sure something is perfect – you can’t bear the thought of someone finding fault with what you’ve done.
- Even though you’re busy, you say yes – after all, it’s a favour for a friend. And that friend is so appreciative of your help that she’s always asking you for favours – you’re her go-to-person. Being wanted like this makes you feel good about yourself.
- You have all of these grand plans and dreams and love nothing more than to imagine what life would be like if one of them came true. But you don’t do anything to make them come true. After all, if you did and the reality wasn’t as good as the dream, where would you be?
- You spend a lot of your time comparing yourself to others, making sure that you come out on top. You take verbal shots at their garden gnomes, the way they dress, their make-up (or lack thereof), the car they drive – anything really… as long as you look better as a result.
Burying yourself in work, living on autopilot, being overwhelmed, feeling world-weary, seeing yourself as a victim, boredom, perfectionism, people-pleasing, procrastination and comparing yourself to others are ALL signs that your life isn’t self-fulfilling. They are signs that you’re distracting yourself from the reality of your life, that you’re feeling a loss of control, or that your self-confidence is low.
Self-fulfilment comes from a mindset that can be learned by anyone (see this article). And self-fulfilment feels good – it makes you feel more alive, more creative and more engaged with your life.
So take action today and stop failing at self-fulfilment!